If you’re experiencing pain before a procedure, your doctor may recommend treatment options to help alleviate that pain such as:
- Over-the-counter medications
(e.g., acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc.)
- Non-drug interventions
(e.g., acupuncture, meditation, massage therapy, or cryoanalgesia like iovera°)
iovera° for OA
iovera° is a novel, FDA-approved non-opioid treatment that allows health care providers to block pain by delivering intense cold therapy to the targeted nerve.
The iovera° treatment uses the body’s natural response to cold to treat nerves and immediately reduce pain. Treated nerves are stopped from sending pain signals for a period of time, followed by a restoration of function. Results can be felt immediately after treatment and can last up to 90 days, as the nerve regenerates over time. This technique can be used to treat chronic pain in the knee, hip, shoulder, chest, foot, ankle, spine and more.3,4
The iovera° treatment is localized and does not inject any drugs into the body.
Other Pages to Checkout
Indication The iovera° system is used to destroy tissue during surgical procedures by applying freezing cold. It can also be used to produce lesions in peripheral nervous tissue by the application of cold to the selected site for the blocking of pain. It is also indicated for the relief of pain and symptoms associated with osteoarthritis of the knee for up to 90 days. The iovera° system is not indicated for treatment of central nervous system tissue.
Important Safety Information The iovera° system should not be used in people with the following conditions:
- Blood that thickens when patient is exposed to cold (cryoglobulinemia), blood appearing in the urine when patient is exposed to the cold (paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria), skin rash that appears when patient is exposed to the cold (cold urticaria), narrowing of the blood vessels in the hands and feet when patient is exposed to the cold (Raynaud’s disease), and open and/or infected wounds at or near the treatment site
Patients being treated with the iovera° system (a needle-based therapy) may experience certain reactions, including, but not limited to:
- Bruising, swelling, inflammation and/or redness, local pain and/or tenderness, and altered feeling at the site of application
Proper use of the device as described in the User Guide can help reduce or prevent the following reactions:
- In the area(s) where you were treated: damage to the skin from being exposed to cold or heat, darkening or lightening of the skin, and dimples in the skin
- Outside the area(s) where you were treated: muscles may not work or move normally
- 1 Punnoose A, Weiss O, Khanduja V, Rushton AB. Effectiveness of prehabilitation for patients undergoing orthopaedic surgery: protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open. 2019;9(11).
- 2 Moyer, Rebecca et al. “The Value of Preoperative Exercise and Education for Patients Undergoing Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” JBJS reviews vol. 5,12 (2017): e2.
- 3 Radnovich R, Scott D, Patel AT, et al. Cryoneurolysis to treat the pain and symptoms of knee osteoarthritis: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, sham-controlled trial. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2017;25(8):1247-1256.
- 4 Pacira BioSciences, Inc. (2022). iovera° Important Safety Information. Retrieved November 10, 2022, from https://www.ioverapro.com/patient.